The Southern University Alumni Federation – Dallas Chapter will award John A. Woods Freshman Scholarships for the 2019 – 2020 academic school year. The scholarships are available to graduating seniors from Dallas Metroplex high schools who will attend Southern University Baton Rouge.
- Submit an official high school transcript with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above.
- Submit a minimum of three recommendations from teachers and/or counselors.
- Submit proof of membership in at least two high school organizations for the last three years.
- Submit proof of community/public service involvement.
- Submit 300-words or less typewritten, double-spaced essay on one of the following topics:
- Why I Deserve the Scholarship
- The Value of an Education in Today’s Society
- The Role of Historically Black Colleges and Universities in Higher Education
- The Role of the African-American Male/Female in the Family
- African-American or Black: Does it matter?
- This scholarship award requires the completion of two consecutive semesters in duration, excluding the Summer session.
- The student must submit an official transcript after the first semester of the scholarship issuance in order to receive the scholarship for the second semester.
- The scholarship recipient must obtain a 3.0 GPA the first semester of the scholarship issuance to retain the scholarship for the second semester.
- The student must arrange to have the registrar’s office mail his/her official transcript to the SUAF-Dallas Chapter, Student Relations Committee at the end of each semester.
- If any of these conditions are not fulfilled, the scholarship will be revoked.
- If the scholarship recipient is expelled from the university, the scholarship will be withdrawn until further review.
Please mail the scholarship required information and application to the address listed below. If you have questions, please feel free to contact the Student Relations Chairperson, Tremea Price at firstname.lastname@example.org. We wish you the best on your pursuit of a college education.